Lucy Lawrie's book, Tiny Acts of Love, is published today by Black & White Publishing, so we thought it would be the perfect time for Lucy to share her book deal moment with Novelicious readers.
1. It was my first novel and first novels almost never make it.
2. It was too chick litty. (Chick lit is dead.)
3. It wasn’t chick litty enough. (Serious women’s fiction doesn’t sell.)
4. It wasn’t high concept enough either. You can forget about being published unless you can encapsulate your entire story in twelve words.
5. It contained adverbs, exclamation marks and the word ‘was’. I’d never realised you were supposed to comb these horrors out of your prose like pesky nits.
6. You need at least 163,971 Twitter followers before a publisher will look at your submission.
7. Traditional publishing is dead.